|Former Senator Buruji Kashamu’s bid to stop his extradition to the United States of America for alleged drugs related offences will be heard at the Supreme Court on February 27, 2020.Kashamu filed the two appeals before the apex court praying it to void the request of the American government that he be extradited to USA to answer criminal charges against him in respect of an alleged heroine drug importation into the country.|
The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) are the major respondents in the appeals in which the former Senator is asking the Supreme Court to stop government from executing two judgments of the Court of Appeal granted against him.The fresh hearing date has been communicated to parties involved in the long drawn legal tussle through hearing notice.Hearing in the two sets of appeal by the businessman and politician along with others had earlier been put on hold to enable the court clear the backlog of political cases that arose from the last year general elections which were time bound.The apex court is to review the two judgments delivered in favour of the Federal Government by the Lagos division of the Court of Appeal on May 4 2018. Kashamu had in his notices of appeal to Supreme Court complained that the Court of Appeal erred in law by voiding and setting aside the two judgments of the Federal High court which barred Federal Government from extraditing him to America.The ex-senator is praying the apex court to set aside the decisions of the Court of Appeal as they affected him.But government through the Attorney General of the Federation AGF has responded with a counter prayer that the Supreme Court should uphold the judgments of the Court of Appeal which cleared coast for his extradition.The AGF claimed that the Appeal Court was right in setting aside the two judgments of the High Court because they were based on hearsay evidence of Kashamu before the court.The AGF urged the Supreme Court to allow the judgments of the Court of Appeal to enable the federal government extradite Kashamu to USA to prove his innocence or otherwise in the hard drug trafficking criminal charge filed against him by the American government since 2015 when he was alleged to have escaped to Nigeria.Prince Lateef Fagbemi SAN is leading the legal team of Kashamu while Chief Emeka Ngige SAN is heading the Federal Government legal team at the apex court.The Court of Appeal had on May 4, 2018 cleared the coast for the federal government to extradite Kashamu who had engaged government in a long drawn legal battle since 2014.The appellate court in the two separate judgments voided and set aside all orders made by a Federal High Court between 2014 and 2017 restraining the government from proceeding with the extradition.Justice Joseph Ikyeghi in the judgments marked CA/L/1030/15 and CA/L/1030A/15 in the appeal filed by the AGF held that the orders granted in favour of Kashamu by Justice Okon Abang were invalid because they were based on hearsays and speculations by Senator Kashamu.The court held that the hearsay that a former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo was instigating the extradition was not established under any law because Obasanjo was not joined in the suit or made a witness.The appeal court said that an affidavit deposed to by Kashamu on the issue was worthless and not in compliance with Evidence Act because the former senator himself claimed that he was told by several persons who were not called to testify in court.Justice Ikyeghi held that Justice Abang in his two judgments on the issue erred in law by playing undue reliance on affidavit that contravened Evidence Act to give judgment against the Federal government.Consequently, the order of injunction stopping the extraction process was voided and set aside.Justice Ikyeghi had agreed with counsel to the Federal Government Chief Emeka Ngige SAN that a statutory body like the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) cannot be prohibited from performing its statutory functions on hearsays and speculations as in the instant case.
Culled from www.businessday.ng
Oyetola To Aregbesola: We’re Proud Of You, You Performed Well As Gov, You’re Doing Well As Minister; Those Calling For Nigeria Break-up Ignorant, Says Aregbe
The Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola has stated that the state is proud of its former Governor and Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola.
Oyetola spoke in Ilesa on Saturday, 5 June, 2021 at an event marking the 64th birthday celebration of the Minister.
He noted that the former Governor of the state performed very well while ruling the state and still performing as the Minister Of Interior.
Oyetola who was represented at the event by the state Commissioner for Political Affairs and Inter-governmental Relations, Mr Taiwo Akeju, said: “You performed very well in the State of Osun and you are performing well as the Minister of Interior. We are very proud of you.”
The events celebrating the 64th birthday of the Minister included the presentation of a book titled “The Rauf I Know “, written by a journalist, Mr Dayo Olanipekun. Mr Olanipekun covered him as state house correspondent for the Broadcasting Corporation of Osun State (OSBC) in his two terms as governor.
Speaking later, Ogbeni Aregbesola warned that it would take 50 years for Nigeria to recover from another civil war.
He therfore warned Nigerians to desist from any act capable of threatening Nigeria’s unity, describing those calling for the separation of the country as ignorant.
Ogbeni Aregbesola said: “Those calling for Nigeria’s break-up are ignorant. Every Nigerian should work for Nigeria’s unity and development.
“It will take Nigeria 50 years to recover from civil war. Whoever likes women and children should not support, but rather condemn any call of separation and conduct capable of threatening Nigeria’s unity.
“Nigeria is a country created by God for us and for the black race.
“I am not saying everything that is happening in Nigeria is good. We should treat the problems and challenges facing Nigerians, not calling for her break-up. Decapitation is not the antidote for headache”.
Aregbesola also declared support for a new caucus of the All Progressives Congress (APC), The Osun Progressives (TOP), saying that he is in support of any move to consolidate progressives legacies in the State of Osun, strengthen the party from the polling units, wards and local government levels and strengthen internal democracy in the party, which are clearly stated in the objectives and mission of TOP.
In his address, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, said that Aregbesola’s legacy in the development of the State will forever linger in the sands of time.
The Ooni of Ife who spoke via Zoom noted that the State of Osun and its people cannot forget Aregbesola as his achievements are beyond what anyone can rubbish.
“We will forever remember him. Your work will never cease to reflect in the sands of time. It is during his tenure that landmark achievements occurred in Osun which we cannot forget.
“We can never forget you. Your achievements are beyond what anyone can rubbish. We are proud of you and what you represent.”
The Registrar of the Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof Ishaq Oloyede, who delivered a lecture titled “Power is responsibility” at the event, urged Nigerian political leaders to be responsible with power.
Oloyede who was represented by Dr Wahab Oyedokun, tasked politicians to operate with ideology that address people’s yearnings.
Speaking at the event, Chief Mrs Tokunbo-Awolowo Dosumu, daughter of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, said Aregbesola is among the few Nigerian politicians that identify with and promote Awolowo’s legacy.
According to Dosumu, Aregbesola has always been committed to all the activities of Awolowo Foundation, describing him as an exemplary leader.
Politicians, traditional rulers, trade union groups and people from all walks of life from the state and across the country graced the occasion, while others spoke via zoom.
Reps to Buhari, Declare state of emergency on security now
The House of Representatives has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to declare a state of emergency on security, as a result of the consistent attacks that have made many to abandoned their homes to avoid falling victim of death, kidnapping, rape etc.
According to sources, the House held a record three-hour executive (closed-door) session that lasted three hours on Tuesday, from where the lawmakers unanimously adopted a series of resolutions.
Emerging from the meeting, the Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, read out the resolutions part of which the House condemned the attacks on security personnel and formations around the country and sympathised with families of victims.
The House reiterated its commitment to ensuring that country is secured, while announcing its resolve to organise a secial security summit, and invite the National Security Adviser, Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (retd.); the service chiefs, heads of paramilitary agencies and NIGCOMSAT.
The House also resolved that “The President should immediately declare emergency on security sector,” while calling on the judiciary to accelerate trial of suspected terrorists, bandits and others criminals.
“The President should as a matter of urgency ensure financial autonomy for local governments,” the lawmakers said, while calling on the Federal Government to ensure protection of national infrastructure across the country.
While asking all security committees to immediately audit arms and ammunition of security agencies within four weeks, the House stated that “the number of personnel in police and military fall far short to effectively secure the country,” calling for an immediate recruitment of operatives.
Ondo orders ex-deputy governor to return all vehicles
The Ondo State Government on Wednesday ordered former deputy governor of the state, Mr Agboola Ajayi to return the remaining two vehicles out of the initial four that was in his possession.
Meanwhile, Ajayi insisted that there were only two vehicles in his possession and he is ready to return the two vehicles for peace to reign.
But the state government insisted that there were four vehicles with him and he should return the remaining two.
According to the statement made available to Journalists by the Senior Special Assistant to the State Governor on Special Duties and Strategy, Dr Doyin Odebowale.
The statement disclosed that Odebowale asked the former deputy governor to return the two vehicles or be ready to face the consequence.
It was revealed that the four vehicles belonging to the government with Mr Ajayi are a Toyota Land Cruiser SUV (new), two Hilux vans (new) and Toyota Hilux (fairly used).
Odebowale said, “It is laughable to read from Mr Ajayi that he has chosen to return two vehicles as an act of magnanimity.
“Returning properties converted is not an act of sacrifice or statesmanship. The alternative will be to confront a gruelling criminal trial for stealing.”
While saying that the former deputy governor should not have left office with government’s vehicles, he added “Mr Ajayi should do the needful or be ready for the consequences.”
Business2 years ago
Alleged Manipulation of Tax : Italian Construction company, Borini Prono, Battles Nigerian Police
Business2 years ago
PRESIDENT BUHARI’S GODSON, NASIRU HALADU DANU’S WINNING STREAK
Society2 years ago
When Mohammed Babangida Stepped out With Umma
Society1 year ago
Gumsu Abacha’s Pretentious Lifestyle after Marriage Crash
Business2 years ago
Visionscape Boss, Niyi Makanjuola’s Myriad of Troubles
Society2 years ago
Lulu-Briggs: Family Exposes Wife, Seinye’s Dirty Ways.. Ola KING
Society1 year ago
Lulu-Briggs’ Death Controversy: Dumo Laughs Last
Humanity1 year ago
Segun Adebutu amplifies father’s famed legacy of benevolence and generosity