The House of Representatives is working assiduously with the Kaduna State Government on how to rescue the release of the remaining 29 students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, Kaduna, who were kidnapped by bandits on March 11, 2021.
The above information was disclosed by the Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, following the protests by parents of the students at the main gate of the National Assembly complex in Abuja on Tuesday.
The armed bandits after perpetuating the abduction, released some of the kidnapped students. Out of the 39 students kidnapped, 10 had so far been released, remaining 29 of them.
During the plenary session on Tuesday, Gbajabiamila asked the Security Committee to go and address the protesters.
When the delegation led by Hon Babajimi Benson, Chairman, Defence Committee returned about 45 minutes after, the Speaker asked for feedback.
Benson said, “They (parents) feel that the Nigerian state has abandoned them. They have not eaten for two days; they all wore black, they don’t have hope. The only hope they have is the parliament.
“They have sent us to you, Mr Speaker. They have asked us to please, plead with you to ensure that their plights over their missing kids are immediately addressed. Their kids have been missing for 55 days.
“They were also so concerned that in their depression, they also asked that we speak on behalf of the kids that were abducted from Greenfield University as well.”
Responding, Gbajabiamila said, “The special committee, in the meantime, will look into it and liaise with all relevant authorities, including the state government in Kaduna, on how to deal with this matter.”
Earlier, the parents and students’ union of the college, while at the National Assembly gate, sought the intervention of the lawmakers.
The protesters led by Abdullahi Usman told journalists they wanted the lawmakers to prevail on security agencies to rescue their children.
Usman partly said, “Now, they have spent 55 days in captivity and we are still counting. There is no hope. Kaduna State Government said they cannot do anything. Even the Ministry of Environment, which supervises the team, is not doing anything.”
A parent of one of the kidnapped students, Rabbi Zacharia Maggaji said, “Please, I want to talk to my son; he is the only person I have. It is me that has been training him. I don’t have any husband. I want to see my son; let the government help me.”
However, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the Federal Government and the Kaduna State Government were working round the clock to ensure the kidnapped Kaduna students were released.
Mohammed, who made this remark at a press conference in Abuja, said, “Both the Federal Government and the Kaduna State Government are working round the clock to ensure that the students are released.
Oyetola To Aregbesola: We’re Proud Of You, You Performed Well As Gov, You’re Doing Well As Minister; Those Calling For Nigeria Break-up Ignorant, Says Aregbe
The Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola has stated that the state is proud of its former Governor and Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola.
Oyetola spoke in Ilesa on Saturday, 5 June, 2021 at an event marking the 64th birthday celebration of the Minister.
He noted that the former Governor of the state performed very well while ruling the state and still performing as the Minister Of Interior.
Oyetola who was represented at the event by the state Commissioner for Political Affairs and Inter-governmental Relations, Mr Taiwo Akeju, said: “You performed very well in the State of Osun and you are performing well as the Minister of Interior. We are very proud of you.”
The events celebrating the 64th birthday of the Minister included the presentation of a book titled “The Rauf I Know “, written by a journalist, Mr Dayo Olanipekun. Mr Olanipekun covered him as state house correspondent for the Broadcasting Corporation of Osun State (OSBC) in his two terms as governor.
Speaking later, Ogbeni Aregbesola warned that it would take 50 years for Nigeria to recover from another civil war.
He therfore warned Nigerians to desist from any act capable of threatening Nigeria’s unity, describing those calling for the separation of the country as ignorant.
Ogbeni Aregbesola said: “Those calling for Nigeria’s break-up are ignorant. Every Nigerian should work for Nigeria’s unity and development.
“It will take Nigeria 50 years to recover from civil war. Whoever likes women and children should not support, but rather condemn any call of separation and conduct capable of threatening Nigeria’s unity.
“Nigeria is a country created by God for us and for the black race.
“I am not saying everything that is happening in Nigeria is good. We should treat the problems and challenges facing Nigerians, not calling for her break-up. Decapitation is not the antidote for headache”.
Aregbesola also declared support for a new caucus of the All Progressives Congress (APC), The Osun Progressives (TOP), saying that he is in support of any move to consolidate progressives legacies in the State of Osun, strengthen the party from the polling units, wards and local government levels and strengthen internal democracy in the party, which are clearly stated in the objectives and mission of TOP.
In his address, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, said that Aregbesola’s legacy in the development of the State will forever linger in the sands of time.
The Ooni of Ife who spoke via Zoom noted that the State of Osun and its people cannot forget Aregbesola as his achievements are beyond what anyone can rubbish.
“We will forever remember him. Your work will never cease to reflect in the sands of time. It is during his tenure that landmark achievements occurred in Osun which we cannot forget.
“We can never forget you. Your achievements are beyond what anyone can rubbish. We are proud of you and what you represent.”
The Registrar of the Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof Ishaq Oloyede, who delivered a lecture titled “Power is responsibility” at the event, urged Nigerian political leaders to be responsible with power.
Oloyede who was represented by Dr Wahab Oyedokun, tasked politicians to operate with ideology that address people’s yearnings.
Speaking at the event, Chief Mrs Tokunbo-Awolowo Dosumu, daughter of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, said Aregbesola is among the few Nigerian politicians that identify with and promote Awolowo’s legacy.
According to Dosumu, Aregbesola has always been committed to all the activities of Awolowo Foundation, describing him as an exemplary leader.
Politicians, traditional rulers, trade union groups and people from all walks of life from the state and across the country graced the occasion, while others spoke via zoom.
UPDATED: NECO Registrar died of heart failure, not assassinated – says Official
The Registrar of National Examinations Council (NECO), Prof. Godswill Obioma has been confirmed dead.
The late NECO Registrar reportedly died on Monday night in his sleep in his Minna residence.
The Director, Human resources of the examination body, Abdul Mustapha confirmed the death of the NECO boss, he dismissed viral media reports that Prof. Godswill Obioma was assassinated, says he died in his sleep as a result of heart failure.
Mr. Mustapha disclosed communication from Obioma’s second son, Prince Godswill Obioma, informing him of the death of his father thus:
“Mustapha K. Abdul (Director Human Resource Management, NECO),
“Dear Sir, this is to formally inform you that my father, Prof. Godswill Obioma, the Registrar/Chief Executive of NECO passed to eternal glory yesterday 31/5/2021 after a brief illness.
“We request that you kindly notify the Board, Management and the entire staff of the Council of this development.
“We shall keep you duly informed.
“Prince Godswill Obioma the 2nd, for the family.”
The release of the conversation between the deceased son and Mustapha contradicted some reports in some online and social media platforms alleging that the NECO boss was assassinated in his Minna residence by some unknown gunmen.
INSECURITY: Arewa Consultative Forum directs Northerners to boycott Southeast
The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has directed Northerners to boycott traveling to Southeast as a result of the level of insecurity in the region.
The warning under the guise of a statement was issued by the National Chairman of ACF, Audu Ogbe, on Monday, May 31. He expressed concern over increasing attacks and killings of northern residents in the southeast or those visiting the zone. He said the travel advisory was issued while taking into cognizance the killings of northern leaders in 1966, which he said triggered the events that led to the civil war.
“ACF issues a very strong advisory to all northerners who may wish to travel to the southeast. Northerners should weigh the importance and necessity of such travels. Unless such trips are absolutely necessary and of compelling nature, like matters of life and death, they should not be made.”the statement in part read
The travel advisory comes barely 24 hours after former presidential aide, Ahmed Gulak, was murdered by IPOB members in Imo state.
Business2 years ago
Alleged Manipulation of Tax : Italian Construction company, Borini Prono, Battles Nigerian Police
Business2 years ago
PRESIDENT BUHARI’S GODSON, NASIRU HALADU DANU’S WINNING STREAK
Society2 years ago
When Mohammed Babangida Stepped out With Umma
Society1 year ago
Gumsu Abacha’s Pretentious Lifestyle after Marriage Crash
Business2 years ago
Visionscape Boss, Niyi Makanjuola’s Myriad of Troubles
Society2 years ago
Lulu-Briggs: Family Exposes Wife, Seinye’s Dirty Ways.. Ola KING
Society1 year ago
Lulu-Briggs’ Death Controversy: Dumo Laughs Last
Humanity1 year ago
Segun Adebutu amplifies father’s famed legacy of benevolence and generosity