Connect with us

Trending News

COVID-19: NCDC records 48 new infections, 1 recovery

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed that 48 fresh cases of COVID-19 have been recorded, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 166,146.

The Center made this disclosure on its official Twitter handle on Wednesday.

According to a report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Nigeria recorded the fresh cases and zero COVID-19 related death on Wednesday, as the country continued to see signs of improvement amid the second wave of the pandemic.

NCDC added that the new cases registered on Wednesday was up from 37 infections recorded on Tuesday.

It said that an additional one patient recovered from the virus, as of May 26.

The agency said the new cases were registered in five states and the Federal Capital Territory as follows.

They were Lagos- 22; Rivers- 11; Enugu-11; Kaduna- two; FCT and Gombe, recorded one each respectively.

NCDC’s Wednesday’s report revealed that zero cases was recorded in Plateau, Nasarawa, Kano, Osun, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo and Ekiti, respectively.

“With the latest updates, the country’s virus-related death toll reached 2,071 on Wednesday,” it said.

NCDC said till date, 166,146 cases had been confirmed, 156,529 cases discharged, 2,071 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

The public health agency said that the country had over 7,498 active cases across the nation.

The agency noted that the country had also conducted over two million tests since the first case relating to the disease was announced in Feb. 27, 2020.

The NCDC added that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at Level two, continues to coordinate the national response activities.

Meanwhile, the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), said that 1,938,611 eligible Nigerians had been vaccinated with the first dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca, while 15,259 Nigerians vaccinated with the first dose had also collected their second dose.

The immunisation agency said that the 1,938,611 Nigerians, representing 96.4 per cent of the targeted population, have so far been vaccinated with their first dose.

It said the 15,259, represent the proportion of 0.8 per cent targeted for the second dose against the virus, which had claimed over three million lives globally and over two thousand lives in the country.

The agency added that Nigerians currently eligible for their second doses would have received their first dose within six to 12 weeks ago.

The agency called on Nigerians to receive their second dose of the vaccine to gain full protection against the virus.

 

58 / 100

Trending News

Sanwo-Olu Appoints Prof. Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello As LASU VC

Published

on

Tunji Bello’s Wife, Prof. Ibiyemi Emerges LASU VC-Crystal News

Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has appointed the wife of the Lagos State Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Professor Ibiyemi-Olatunji Bello as the ninth substantive Vice-Chancellor of the Lagos State University, LASU, Ojo.

The Professor of Physiology (Lagos State University College of Medicine) had served as Acting Vice-Chancellor of the institution before her elevation.

She becomes the ninth Vice-Chancellor of LASU after an exercise laced with intrigues and suspense.

Details later…

60 / 100
Continue Reading

Technology

FG To Lift Twitter Suspension Soon

Published

on

FG To Lift Twitter Suspension Soon-Crystal News

The Federal Government of Nigeria has announced that the ban on Twitter will soon be lifted.

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, confirmed this development when he fielded questions from State House correspondents on Wednesday in Abuja.

According to him, a lot of progress has been made in the ongoing dialogue with Twitter.

“I think even Twitter itself two days ago gave what I will call a progress report on our talks with them, and I think if I want to quote them rightly `it has been productive and quite respectful’.

“And as to the qualifying word for when or how soon, I want to assure you that the time that Twitter operation has been suspended, (I meant) between the time it has been suspended, and when it will be restored is by far, much, much shorter.

“That I can assure you that it is by far in other words, if the operation has been suspended for about 100 days now, I can tell that we’re just actually talking about a few, just a few more days now.”

The minister stressed that both parties were focused on reaching a conclusion on the matter.

“What we’re trying to do is the changes that have been going on, but we need to dot the ‘i’s’ and cross the ‘t’s’, but I can assure us that we’re not unmindful of the anxiety of Nigerians and both parties are working very hard to put a closure on the matter.

“And like Twitter itself said the changes have been very, very productive on both parties. It has not been advisory at all. And it’s quite respectful,’’ he said.

64 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News

Our Director Not On Terrorist Financier List — 9mobile

Published

on

9mobile-Crystal News

The Management of 9mobile has reacted to media reports that one of its directors is on the United Arab Emirates (UAE} list of terrorist (Boko Haram) sponsors.

According to a press statement cited by Crystal News, 9mobile said that one Abdurrahman Ado Musa, who is on that list is not a director of the mobile telecommunications company.

Some Nigerians were included on the list said to have been ratified by the Emirate Federal Capital. One of the names on the list and that the media has latched on is Abdurrahaman Ado Musa.

In its clarification, 9mobile said “We, however, wish to clarify that the so-named individual is not 9mobile’s Executive Director, Regulatory & Corporate Affairs, Abdulrahman Ado. The resemblance in names is purely coincidental, and our Director does not bear ‘Musa’.

“Our Director, Abdulrahman Ado, is a respectable law-abiding Nigerian. He served the country diligently in public service for over three decades before transferring his services to the private sector.

“He served in various capacities and was Pioneer Vice-Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission and Executive Commissioner, Licensing and Consumer Affairs, Nigerian Communications Commission.

“As a law-abiding company that believes in the greatness of Nigeria, and the well-being of all its citizens, 9mobile would never accommodate any undesirable element within its management and staff.

“We urge the general public to kindly disregard the mistaken identify media reports making the rounds”

ICYM: High Profiled Nigerians Enlisted As Terrorist Sponsors- UAE Report

UAE authorities named 6 Nigerians as financiers of terrorist organizations including the Boko Haram sect and other criminal activities.

The 6 persons mentioned had been previously tried and sentenced in UAE with various prison terms after a federal appeals court upheld their convictions for funding the terrorist groups.

The decision was taken when the UAE federal cabinet met in Abu Dhabi on Monday after which they issued Resolution No. 83 of 2021, designating a total of 38 individuals and 15 corporate sponsors on its approved list of persons and organizations supporting Boko Haram and other terrorist causes.

The 6 Nigerians who are part of the list include Abdurrahaman Ado Musa, Salihu Yusuf Adamu, Bashir Ali Yusuf, Muhammed Ibrahim Isa, Ibrahim Ali Alhassan and Surajo Abubakar Muhammad.

The 38 names on the list are mostly Arabs from the Middle East.

UAE news agency reported that the resolution underscored the country’s commitment to target and dismantle networks that finance terrorism and its related activities.

.

70 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News