Connect with us

Judiciary

Dollar Video: Court Orders Ganduje To Pay N800,000 To Jafar Jafar

Published

on

Dollar Video: Court Orders Ganduje To Pay N800,000 To Jafar Jafar-Crystal News

A State High Court sitting in Kano, on Tuesday, ordered Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje to pay the sum of N800,000 as costs for expenses to Jafar Jafar, a publisher, and his company, Daily Nigerian, respondents to his N3 billion defamation suit.

Ganduje had filed a suit in November 2018, seeking N3 billion as damages for defamation of character against the respondents over videos they published of the governor allegedly receiving bribes in US dollars.

The respondents in the suit were: Jafar Jafar, his company, Penlight Media limited (Daily Nigerian).

When the case came up on Tuesday, there was a mild drama in court between counsels for the plaintiff and respondents as to whether the case was for mention or hearing.

Counsel to the plaintiff, Offiong Offiong SAN, had filed an application for motion on notice dated June 28, seeking to withdraw the N3 billion defamation suit he filed against the respondents.

“We rely on order 23 rule 4 and 3 of the rule of the court, supported by a written address to discontinue the suit”.

Responding, counsel to the first respondent, U Eteng, and Muhammad Dan’azumi, for the second respondent, argued that hearing on the application seeking to discontinue the suit by the plaintiff was not ripe and urged the court to strike out the application.

Eteng had similarly filed a four-paragraph counter-affidavit and a written address dated July 1, to amend the statement of defense and add the respondent’s counterclaim.

He urged the court to grant the first respondent the sum of N100 million and the second respondent N300 million as costs of necessary expenses of filing the affidavit, among others.

“Daily Nigerian has gone through stress for four years. We need a written apology to be published in the national dailies and pre-action letter by the plaintiff”, the counsel said.

In his ruling, Justice Suleiman NaMalam, discontinued the suit, with number K/519/2018 and the statement of claim against the respondents, while ordering the plaintiff to pay the two respondents the sum of N400,000 each to as costs for necessary expenses.

63 / 100

Trending News

Shiite Leader El-Zakzaky And Wife Regain Freedom Finally

Published

on

Shiite Leader, El-Zakzaky And Wife Regains Freedom Finally-Crystal News

A Kaduna State High Court has ordered the release of the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenah Ibrahim.

Crystal News reports that the couple had been in jail for six years. This follows a bloody clash between his followers and soldiers in Zaria, Kaduna State.

Zakzaky and his wife had been standing trial in the court for a few years on an eight-count charge of alleged culpable homicide, disruption of the public peace, and unlawful assembly among others leveled against them by the Kaduna State Government.

The hearing resumed on Wednesday and the couple were been brought to court by officials of the Nigerian Correctional Service amidst tight security.

His no-case submission was upheld by Justice Gideon who stated that the prosecution failed to establish a prima facie case against the defendants.

90 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News

Baba Ijesha Did Not Sexually Touch Minor Says Defence

Published

on

The defence team of embattled Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju James, alias Baba Ijesha, said at an Ikeja Special Offences Court that the actor did not sexually touch a 14-year-old minor in a Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage tendered as an exhibit.

A member of Baba Ijesha’s defence team, Mr Dada Awosika (SAN), made the assertion on Tuesday, while cross-examining actress and comedienne, Ms Damilola Adekoya alias Princess, the foster mother of the minor.

Baba Ijesha is facing a six-count charge of defilement of a minor.

Awosika said that the defendant did not touch the minor sexually and the CCTV footage was scripted.

“You will observe that when you see the CCTV footage being streamed, that the defendant did not at any time move his hand towards any sensitive part of your daughter’s body.

“Nowhere did he touch her boobs, slip his hands into her private part or caress any other sensitive part,” Awosika said.

Responding, Princess said, “If you call her breasts, her laps, her ears and her tongue not sensitive, then I do not agree with you.

“He sucked her ears, rubbed her laps, licked her whole body, sucked on her finger and he grabbed her boobs again.”

Awosika alleged that Princess had invited the defendant to her home for a script conference.

He queried why there was no audio on the footage to reveal instructions Princess gave to her daughter and what she told Baba Ijesha.

“It was not a movie, my daughter was trying to record him on her phone and you can clearly see him trying to grab the phone from her.

“I noticed him talking to her and I noticed her removing his shoes,” she said.

However, the defence counsel said as part of the script being played, the minor in the footage went to get some water for the defendant to drink and that she comfortably sat beside him when she returned.

He asked why Princess, who was aware of an earlier allegation of molestation against the defendant, would leave her underage daughter with the defendant.

“The initial plan was for myself, my mum and foster daughter to confront him, but we felt he could become violent if we should confront him, and I decided to set up the CCTV camera that day.

“A few minutes to his arrival, my mother developed cold feet and felt as a grandmother she could not be able to be calm talking to him, so I was inadvertently left alone with my daughter.

“I could not believe that he would repeat the same action against my daughter knowing fully well that she is now 14 years old and can speak for herself and no longer seven years ago when he shut her up,” Princess said.

Awosika said that as part of the script, Princess hid under the stairs and was monitoring the activities of Baba Ijesha and her underage daughter with a smartphone.

62 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News

Sunday Igboho’s Trial Adjourned Till Monday

Published

on

The Court D’Apeal in Cotonou, Benin Republic has adjourned the trial of Yoruba nation agitator, Sunday Igboho till Monday.

According to a statement on Friday morning by the Communications Manager of Ilana Omo Oodua, Maxwell Adeleye titled ‘Update On Chief Sunday Adeyemo Ighoho’s Case In the Republic Of Benin By Ilana Omo Oodua’, Sunday Igboho’s case has been adjourned till Monday 26th July to allow the Nigerian Government to bring up whatever evidence they may have.

The Beninese court ruled on Thursday that Igboho’s wife, Ropo, should be released unconditionally as there were no charges against her.

The court, however, ruled that Igboho be remanded in police custody till the next date of adjournment.

Sunday Igboho and his wife were arrested at the Cadjèhoun Airport in Cotonou on Monday while they tried to catch a flight to Germany after Igboho was declared wanted by the Department of State Services (DSS) for allegedly stocking arms, an allegation he denied.

In its statement, Ilana Oodua said, “Yesterday (Thursday), the court set Mrs. Adeyemo, lgboho’s wife free since it has been found that she has committed no offense and there are no complaints whatsoever against her. Consequently, her German passport was returned to her.

“The Lawyers handling the case reported after the proceedings that Chief Sunday Adeyemo lgboho cannot be extradited to Nigeria for two principal reasons:

“That contrary to insinuations, Nigeria and Benin have no Extradition Agreement.

“That Nigeria has not been able to come up with charges that could lead the court to order lgboho’s extradition to Nigeria.

“What Nigerian Government came up with were mere allegations against Ighoho such as trafficking in arms and inciting violence that could result in the social disturbance without evidence which the Government of Benin Republic considered spurious and untenable, and insufficient to warrant extradition.

“Lastly, the case has been adjourned till Monday 26th July to allow the Nigerian Government brings up whatever evidence they may have, and Mr. lgboho has been taken back to the police custody.”

63 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News