Connect with us

Others

NDLEA Arrests 89 Drug Dealers With 2,800 Tonnes Of Illicit Drugs In Kebbi

Published

on

NDLEA Arrests 89 Drug Dealers With 2,800 Tonnes Of Illicit Drugs In Kebbi-Crystal News

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Kebbi says it has arrested 89 suspected drug dealers and seized 2, 800 tonnes of illicit drugs and psychotropic substances within six months in the state.

The state commander of the agency, Mr Peter Onche-Odaudu, told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday that the suspects were arrested between January and July 7.

“The command counter-narcotic efforts in 2021 are to police Kebbi and checking the menace of drug abuse and illicit trafficking, with a view to reducing same to the barest minimum and strengthen security in the state.

“From January to July 7, 89 suspects are arrested; of the lot, 87 are males while only two are females.

“Also, a whopping 2.800 tonnes of drugs are seized and taken out of circulation; and some of these had been transferred to us by the Nigerian Customs Services (NCS) and Nigeria Police in the state.

“Cannabis sativa constituted 2,594.6016 kilogrammes, psychotropic substances which include tramadol tablets, diazepam, cough syrup with cocaine, account for the remaining 232.2947 kilogrammes,” he said.

Onche-Odaudu said the agency was able to admit 21 clients into their rehabilitation facility while 18 persons had been discharged within the period

“In the area of rehabilitation and counselling, five persons are undergoing counselling and rehabilitation currently,” he said.
He reiterated the command’s commitment to the war against drug abuse and illicit trafficking in the state.

“We appreciate the support from the state government, sister agencies, media and good people of the state.

“We are still calling on the government to assist us with operational vehicles and motorcycles as the command faces challenges of logistics to carry out its operation to the hot-spot and hard-to-reach areas of the state.

“Within the ambit of the resources — human, materials and financial available — the command will not rest on her oars until drug peddlers and users are run out of business,” Onche- Odaudu said.

The commander enjoined residents to furnish it with information on the activities of drug dealers in their communities.

60 / 100

Others

UN Chief Condemns Military Coup In Sudan

Published

on

UN Chief Condemns Military Coup In Sudan

UN Secretary-General, António Guterres on Monday condemned the “ongoing military coup” in Sudan, saying Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and all other officials, must be released immediately.

Long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir was overthrown by the military following months of popular protest in April 2019.

Subsequently, a transitional government was set up comprising both military and civilian leadership, after a power-sharing agreement that was due to lead to full democratic elections in 2023.

According to news agencies, Sudan’s military has dissolved civilian rule, arrested political leaders and declared a state of emergency.

Protesters have reportedly taken to the streets of the capital, Khartoum, and there are reports of gunfire.

In a statement posted on Twitter, the secretary-general said “there must be full respect for the constitutional charter to protect the hard-won political transition.

“The UN will continue to stand with the people of Sudan.”

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, also condemned the attempted coup.

“These actions threaten the Juba Peace Agreement and jeopardize the important progress made towards democracy and respect for human rights,” Bachelet said.

She called on military authorities to abide by the constitutional order and international law, withdraw from the streets, and resolve any differences with civilian leaders serving on the Transitional Council through dialogue and negotiation.

“I utterly deplore the reported arrest of the Prime Minister, several Ministers, leaders of the Forces of the Freedom and Change and other civil society representatives, and call for their immediate release,” she said.

Bachelet also pointed out reports that the internet was down in the country and other means of communication were suspended.

“Blanket internet shutdowns contravene international law, and Internet and mobile services must be restored, as they are essential for people to seek and receive information, particularly in these unsettling circumstances,” she said.

She asked military and security forces to refrain from unnecessary and disproportionate use of force, to respect people’s freedom of expression, as well as the right of peaceful assembly.

“It would be disastrous if Sudan goes backwards after finally bringing an end to decades of repressive dictatorship.

“The country needs to move forward to consolidate democracy, a wish expressed countless times by the Sudanese people, including loudly and clearly on the streets last week and today,” she added.

The head of the UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission Sudan (UNITAMS), Volker Perthes, also released a statement, declaring that the arrests of the Prime Minister, government officials and other politicians are “unacceptable.”

“I call on the security forces to immediately release those who have been unlawfully detained or placed under house arrest.

“It is the responsibility of these forces to ensure the security and wellbeing of people in their custody,” Perthes said.

The UNITAMS chief, who acts as a Special Representative of the Secretary-General, also urged everyone involved to exercise the utmost restraint.

“All parties must immediately return to dialogue and engage in good faith to restore the constitutional order,” Perthes said.

59 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News

Oyo Prison Break: Aregbesola Gives Update, Sends Warning Message To Escapees

Published

on

Kabba Prison Break: Aregbesola Reveals Steps Taken To Arrest Escaped Inmates-Crystal News

The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, assured Nigerians that the attack on Abolongo Custodial Centre in Oyo, Oyo State has been brought under control, telling members of the public to go about their businesses.

The Minister who was reacting to the incident via a statement by his Media Aide, Sola Fasure, stated that he has been briefed by the Controller General of the Nigerian Correctional Service and he is monitoring the situation.

Aregbesola stated further that the awaiting trial section that was later attacked by grenades and other explosives, thereby setting some of the awaiting trial inmates free.

Security agents have rearrested some of those who escaped while some have voluntarily returned to the center while security agents are on the trail of others.

Heavily armed gunmen attacked the Abolongo Custodial Centre late Friday, 22 October 2021 and engaged the security agents on the ground in a gun duel which lasted for about 20 minutes before they were overpowered.

Oyo Prison Break: Aregbesola Gives Update, Sends Warning Message To Escapees

Crystal News reports that in the area, at about 10.00 pm yesterday, October 22, 2021, a large number of heavily-armed gunmen attacked the Abolongo Custodial Centre, in Oyo, Oyo State.

“The attackers subsequently used grenades and other explosives to gain access into the awaiting trial section of the facility and set free many of the awaiting trial inmates. Other sections of the facilities were left untouched.

“The Controller General of the Nigerian Correctional Service has been on the situation immediately the incident occurred.

“The Minister of Interior has been briefed on the attack. He is monitoring the situation.

“He has assured members of the public to go about their normal businesses as the situation is under control. He also requires members of the public to report any suspicious movement or any sign of the escaped inmates and the gunmenin and around the vicinity to the nearest security post around them.

“Security agencies are on the trail of the escaped inmates, while a joint security services manhunt has been launched immediately for the apprehension of the assailants.

“This has led to the capture of some of the inmates while others returned voluntarily. However, those who are on the run are advised to turn themselves in, as escape from lawful custody is a serious offense. The full weight of the law will be brought on them when arrested,” the statement said.

71 / 100
Continue Reading

Others

ICIR Tasks Journalists On Unity Of Nigeria

Published

on

ICIR Tasks Journalists On Unity Of Nigeria

The International Centre for Investigative Reporting (ICIR) has advised Nigerian journalists to work towards unifying rather than dividing the country.

Mr. Dayo Aiyetan, the Director, ICIR, said this at a training for journalists on peace and conflict-sensitive reporting in Abuja.

Aiyetan also advised journalists against using profiling as a reporting tool.

In a paper titled “The Danger of Ethnicity Profiling in Reporting”, he described ethnic profiling as means of targeting or singling out a person for blame or innuendo based on his or her ethnicity.

He said that ethnic profiling was unethical as it focused on sensationalism rather than professionalism.

“It also fuel division, criminality and genocide as witnessed in Rwandan of which the media will be blamed for it,” the ICIR boss said.

He urged journalists to adhere to the principles of truth, accuracy, balance, fairness and corporate responsibility in their reportage.

Alhaji Abdullateef Shittu, Executive Director, Research and Strategy Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) said that the technical assistance the forum was rendering the governors was yielding positive results in states.

Shittu listed them to include; increase in Internally Generated Revenue and domestication of relevant laws and policies.

He said that many states had also been encouraged to set up relevant agencies that promoted development and accountability.

According to him, this includes the State Bureau of Statistics and Project Monitoring Agency to track projects execution in the states.

He recalled that NGF was instrumental in facilitating the disbursement of Parish Refund Club, the release of bailout funds as well as budget support funds from the federal government to states during an economic recession.

The workshop was attended by journalists from different media organizations in the country

65 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News