Connect with us

Others

Zamfara Rebuffs Bandits’ Belated Peace Overture

Published

on

Matawalle Seeks Prayers Over Banditry In Zamfara-Crystal News

Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara has said that the state government is no longer interested in dialoguing with bandits as they rejected the olive branch stretched at them earlier.

He said in Gusau that instead, security forces would flush them out of the state.

“My administration will no longer grant amnesty to bandits as they have failed to embrace the peace initiative earlier extended to them,’’ the governor said, while addressing a congregation.

He urged residents to be patient and to support new security measures put in place to flush out bandits and their collaborators to restore peace in the state.

The governor said the barrage of attacks on bandits by security forces had made them to make a fresh overture to government seeking dialogue.

He said the bandits’ emissaries informed him that they had repented and would want to dialogue with the government.

He noted that some of the bandits were running out of Zamfara to other states as a result of the new security measures introduced by the state government.

Matawalle warned politicians against giving any form of support to bandits, stressing that: “politicians should fear God and stop buying motorcycles to distribute to people who, in turn, sell to bandits to perpetrate their evil acts.’’

The governor said also that the Zamfara government would prosecute any politician caught in the act.

Recall that Zamfara had cut off food, petroleum products supply and other essential commodities from the reach of the bandits in their various camps.

The government had also incepted several vehicles conveying food, drinks and petroleum products to various bandits’ camps in the state.

The government said earlier that it had also arrested more than 100 violators of Gov. Matawalle’s Executive Order to restore law and order in the state.

Matawalle had established the Special Taskforce to enforce measures to address the lingering security challenges of mass kidnapping for ransom and cattle rustling in the state.

On Aug. 26, the governor signed an Executive Order suspending all weekly markets in Zamfara, banned bicycles and motorcycles from carrying more than one passenger and not more than three passengers in the case of tricycles.

The order read in part: “No bicycle, motorcycle or tricycle shall ply any road or run within Zamfara State between 6.30 p.m. and 6 a.m., while in Gusau metropolis, the ban shall be between 8 p.m. and 6a.m.

“No firewood or charcoal shall be transported from the bush to any part of Zamfara State by bicycle, motorcycle, tricycle, car, articulated vehicle, lorry, truck or any vehicle by whatever name called.

“No sheep or cow shall be transported into or outside Zamfara State.

“The sale of petroleum products by fuel stations within the control of a village head is banned.

“Fuel stations shall not sell petroleum products in jerry can or any other container to any customer.

“No fuel station shall sell more than five litres to motorcyclists, tricyclists and not more than 40 litres to any vehicle.

“All shops, kiosks, containers, tents and stands located at Garejin Mailaina, Gusau, are hereby closed.’’

The state government had also established a Special Taskforce to ensure full compliance with the order while mobile courts were set up to prosecute violators.

Meanwhile, commercial activities in the state have been halted following the two weeks suspension of telecommunication networks in the state by the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC).

All banking services, mobile telephone services, internet and other related services have also been suspended.

In a related development, Commissioner of Police in Zamfara, Mr Ayuba Elkanah, announced the suspension of movement of all motorcycles with clutches in 13 local government areas of the state.

In a chat with newsmen, Elkanah urged members of the public to continue to support security agencies by giving them vital information that would assist in fighting crimes and criminally in the state.

“In a bid to achieve this aim, additional measures have been put in place.

“Riding of motorcycles that have clutches have been banned in the 13 local government areas of the state in addition to the earlier enforcement of restrictions on motorcycles and tricycles in Gusau Local Government Area.

“In Gusau area, Damba and Mada are equally affected in the ban on riding motorcycles with clutches,’’ Elkanah said.

The police commissioner said they had authoritative information that some unscrupulous elements use the vehicles, especially Golf III cars and Canter trucks, to supply petroleum products and food items to bandits camps,

Elkanah enjoined residents in Zamfara to bear with the security agencies because the measures put in place are temporarily and are in the best interest of the state.

“We urge residents to remain law-abiding and to collaborate with security agencies in ensuring that peace and security is restored in the state,’’ the police commissioner said.

67 / 100

Others

Lagos To Divert Traffic On Dopemu Road From January 21

Published

on

Lagos To Divert Traffic On Dopemu Road From January 21

The Lagos State Government has announced the diversion of traffic on Dopemu road in the Agege area of the state with effect Friday, January 21, 2022, for a period of 3 months.

The road closure follows the planned rehabilitation and upgrade of Babajide Sanwo-Olu road within the period by the state government.

This disclosure is contained in a statement issued by the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Frederic Oladeinde, at the weekend, where he said that the repair works will be executed in 3 phases adding that the first phase of the project will focus on Ipaja Road to Adealu Street junction which will last for 3 months.

The statement from Oladeinde reads, “In line with the on-going infrastructure development, the Lagos State Government will divert traffic on Dopemu Road in the Agege area of the state by 10:00 pm on Friday 21st January 2022 for the rehabilitation and upgrade of Babajide Sanwo-Olu Road for a duration of 3 months.’’

Alternative routes

Oladeinde asked motorists inbound Dopemu Bridge from Iyana Ipaja/Alagba axis to go through the Ipaja road to connect Oyewole Street into Seriki Street which will link them to Kolawole and Adebambo Street to access Adealu road for their desired destination.

He also advised motorists heading towards Dopemu Bridge from Ipaja (Oke Koto) are to use Markaz road to connect Awori Street and link Sarumi Alawo Street/Oniwaya and Surulere to continue their journey or alternately go through Alfa Nla from Old Ipaja road to connect Oniwaya/Surulere axis to reach Dopemu Bridge.

The commissioner assured that the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) has designed alternative routes to enable effective control of vehicular movement along the axis during the duration of the construction.

While lauding Lagosians for their perseverance through the myriad of constructions ongoing across the state, the commissioner called for support from the citizenry, assuring them that the sacrifice being paid will yield the desired outcome for the state’s Multi-modal Transportation System.

What you should know

  • The Lagos State Government had reiterated its commitment to the reconstruction and improvement of infrastructure across the state as part of its smart city project.
  • The massive road rehabilitation which is being executed by the Lagos State Government is part of the Transportation and Traffic Management Pillar of the state’s THEME agenda which ensures the upgrading of infrastructure across the state.
  • This is necessary to address the worsening state of these infrastructures which includes road, bridges and flyovers and the various safety concerns that have been raised

68 / 100
Continue Reading

Others

Prudential Announces AFCON 2021 Sponsorship

Published

on

AFCON

…Sponsorship underscores the life insurer’s commitment to grow and to invest in Africa

Prudential Africa has signed a sponsorship agreement with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to become the official insurance partner of the ongoing 33rd edition of Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2021.

At a press conference to announce the sponsorship, Eric Mboma, Chief Representative Officer, Prudential Northern Africa Region noted that the sponsorship underscores Prudential’s commitment to the African continent.

“As we grow our business in Africa, we also want to support the passion and talent of its people. Africans share a common love for football and we are honored to be part of a tournament that unites the continent and brings together the brightest talents of African football”, he said.

Mr. Mboma added, “Through sports, Prudential wants to encourage people to stay active and lead more healthy lifestyles. As a life insurer, we believe that health and wellness are important for people to live fulfilling lives.”

Commenting on the partnership, Confederation of African Football (CAF) General Secretary Mr. Véron Mosengo-Omba said, “We are excited and pleased to have on board Prudential as a partner. We share a common purpose in our commitment to developing local talent as well as driving prosperity for the people of Africa.”

AFCON 2021 started on January 9 and will run till February 6, 2022 with Cameroon as the host nation.

Prudential is a global financial services group providing life insurance, pensions and asset management products and services to approximately 20 million customers in Asia and Africa.
Prudential has life insurance operations in eight countries across Africa: Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Nigeria.

For nearly a decade, the life insurer has been providing affordable insurance and health solutions. Today, it serves more than 1.7 million customers through a distribution network of more than 13,000 agents and 600 branches.

58 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News

AFCON 2021 Winning Team To Pocket N2bn After Review

Published

on

AFCON

Confederation of African Football (CAF), the continent’s football governing body, has announced that the prize money that would be awarded to the winning team of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2021.

The competition, which is scheduled to begin on Sunday, January 9, 2022, would see AFCON 2021 winning team claiming a $5 million grand prize, which is over N2 billion when converted to the current exchange rate of N413.21 to $1.

This development emerged after an Executive Committee meeting, which was held on Friday, January 7.

A total of $1.850 million was added to the prize money from the quarter-final stage to the final. The new prize money for eventual champions of the competition is $5 million – a $500,000 increase from the previous prize in the 2019 edition.

The runner-up will get $2.75 million while the semi-finalists and quarter-finalists will take home $2.2 million and $1.175 million respectively.

“The new TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations Prize Monies; Winner: USD 5 million (an increase of USD 500,000).

“Runner-up: USD 2.75 million (an increase of USD 250,000). Semi-Finalists: USD 2.2 million (an increase of USD 200,000). Quarter-Finalists: USD 1.175 million (an increase of USD 175,000),” a statement from CAF’s website read.

The AFCON 2021 tournament, which would begin with Cameroon vs Burkina Faso on Sunday, January 9, would have Video Assistant Referee (VAR), as CAF announced that it would be used in all 52 matches.

For the tournament, 63 match officials would be on parade – 24 referees, 31 assistant referees and eight video assistant referees have been drawn from 36 countries, with two referees from Concacaf.

66 / 100
Continue Reading

Trending News