Connect with us

Others

EX- CUSTOMS BOSS, IBRAHIM MERA’S DWINDLING FAME

Published

on

If you ask any politically conscious indigene of Kebbi State about
Prince Ibrahim Mera, a former Deputy Comptroller-General, Nigeria
Customs Service, you will most likely be inundated with some
uninspiring stories that tend to put him in the picture of a serial
loser.

While he was still in the Service, he had aspired to become the number
one customs boss in 2015.

But the coveted position eluded him. Following the loss, he recoiled
into his cocoon.

He, however, ventured into agriculture business later.

Like one who is down but not out, he soon came into the public
consciousness when he signified interest to govern his state of origin.

When he flooded the state with his posters, his critics were quick to
say that it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a
needle than for him to become the number one citizen of the state.

Though it was one dream he had pursued with determination, he failed to
secure the All Progressives Congress’ ticket for the governorship
election in the state.

It was gathered that the billionaire ex-Customs top shot did not pass
the screening organised by the party, thereby foreclosing his ambition
of wresting power from the incumbent governor, Abubakar Bagudu.

Again, he seems to have gone into hiding after his celebrated defeat.

Unknown to many, this is not the first time the six footer billionaire
would suffer defeat.

When the tenure of the former Comptroller-General, Alhaji Abdulahi Inde,
was terminated abruptly by President Muhammadu Buhari last year, many
had looked in the direction of Prince Ibrahim Mera, MFR, a Deputy
Comptroller-General, Nigeria Customs Service, as the likely successor.

In fact, it was gathered that many of his friends were already referring
to the him as CG. But this was not to be, as his career also ended when
Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) was appointed Comptroller-General of Customs. He
was among other top officers who turned in their letters of voluntary
retirement from the service. However, those in the know confirmed that
they were actually frustrated out of the organisation.

Consequently, Spyglass gathered that the man, who is described as the
second most important person in Argungun, his home town in Kebbi State,
was vividly angry and dejected.

Unknown to many, this is not the first time his dream had been
shattered. It was revealed that when his father, Alhaji Mohammed Mera ,
the late Emir of Argungun, died, he had hoped to succeed him as Emir of
Argungu, in line with his royal title of Ciroman of Argungu (Crown
Prince). He, however, lost out in the battle of succession to his elder
brother, Samaila Mera, who was allegedly imposed on the Emirate by the
then Military governor of the old Sokoto State under whom he had served
as Commissioner for Water Resources.

Mera is said to have been the choice of their late father. Expectedly,
Mera felt betrayed by the imposition of his elder brother, but he
resigned to fate. Interestingly, Mera, we are told, has since
reconciled with his brother.

Continue Reading

Trending News

Resident doctors threaten to embark on indefinite strike on Thursday, April 1

Published

on

There was palpable fear after Members of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) threatens to embark on an indefinite strike on Thursday, April 1.

The body disclosed (NARD) that the strike will be coming on the heels of the expiration of the 60-day ultimatum given to the Federal Government on January 25 for the payment of arrears of salaries of house officers across the country and the review of hazard allowance, among other demands. According to members of the association, since the pandemic began in 2020, it has lost 17 doctors, whose families and loved ones are yet to benefit from the Death in Service Insurance Scheme.

According to a statement released in Abuja by the President of NARD, Dr Uyilawa Okhuaihesuyi, after NARD’s extra-ordinary National Executive Council (NEC) meeting on Sunday, March 28, reads in part

“The NEC observed that her earlier ultimatum given to the Federal Government during the January 2021 NEC meeting in Owerri will expire by 12 midnight on the 31st of March 2021 with no significant achievement.

The NEC reiterated her full support for the Central Placement of House Officers. Nevertheless, they decried the agony our members have been made to pass through for three months now without salaries despite uninterrupted service delivery to the nation.

This is due to the inefficiency of the Registrar of MDCN in handling the processes of central placement of House Officers as approved by the Federal Executive Council since 2017.

The NEC bemoaned the suffering of some of our members in GIFMIS platform who have not been paid salaries for four months now due to delay in biometric capturing by IPPIS department.

They lamented the inhumane treatment being meted on our members in some State Tertiary Institutions like ABSUTH being owed twenty months salaries, IMSUTH five months salaries and UNIMEDTH three months salaries.

The NEC also observed that despite the three-month window given to the Federal Government to review the hazard allowance of health workers, the hazard allowance has remained a paltry sum of five thousand naira monthly.

The NEC noted that despite the efforts of NARD, the erroneously paid 2020 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) to non-resident Doctors is yet to be addressed. Also, the 2019, some of 2020 and 2021 MRIF are yet to be paid.”


10
/ 100


Continue Reading

Others

Nigerians should Fight Fire Outbreaks the way they Battle Militants- MD, Surveillant Fire Limited, Engr. Adejola

Published

on

By

Fire outbreaks are causing more harms than Boko Haram terrorists, Managing Director of Surveillant Fire Limited, Engineer Jumade Adejola has declared.

He said Nigerians should start giving more attention to fire outbreaks as they battle militants.

Adejola spoke in a chat with reporters at his head office in Magodo, Lagos recently.

He blamed law enforcement agencies for failing to enforce legislations made to curb erecting buildings without installing every necessary fire and security system.

He said that there are codes and legislations that fire system should be installed in houses but questioned “why are we not following up legislations to ensure that we implement it?”

Adejola said: “You are building an estate, you don’t have fire hydrant and you are getting approval from physical planning.

“How can that be approved when you don’t have the laid down plan for fire hydrant?

“Nobody is here to blame anyone but a it is a call for us to wake up from our slumber. It is not only to run after Okada People, it is not only about security and do you know that fire is causing more death than Boko-haram?”

He added: “We are lucky in Nigeria or let’s say Lagos, that we have never had a terrible high-rise building fire, you would have known the number of death recorded.”

The veteran fire engineer said the firm is determined to create awareness among Nigerians on ways to combat the ever increasing incidents of fire outbreaks amidst the several brutal cases reported across the nation in recent weeks.

He lamented many have fallen victims of fire outbreaks because they fail to acquire fire control technologies like extinguishers, hydrants and other similar technologies.

He stated those who suffer fire incidents despite having those technologies lack the skills to use them suitably.

“Just about three days ago, inside Magodo, very close to my house, we watched a whole house come down.

“The whole thing came down because fire, within three minutes, grows into an inferno and when fire has grown into inferno, you cannot tackle it, only the fire service can tackle it.

“That is why people need to be careful and they need to have what they need to have in place. It is not about the weather alone.

“Even, when the weather is still okay, you need to be very sensitive about everything you are doing, you need to understand that you need the right equipment.

“Many people are buying the equipment but are not buying the right one anyways.”

He noted that the public must know not all fire extinguishers are original and those that are original may not be well suited.

He urged government to seek professional means to acquire fire and security control systems.

“Two things I advise people to do: when you finish building the first thing you must do is insure your house.

“Then before you finish, don’t use quack electrical personnel. They are responsible for the fire incidents because they buy anyhow cable and we are fond of something in Nigeria.

“All our pipes are inside the wall. When the cable begin to get burnt, for you to take it out is always an issue.

“So, you need to use a qualified or certified electrician who will give you what you need to buy. When you use a qualified person, he will give you the quality cable that you need,” he advised.

The UK-trained safety expert decried the attitude of people towards safety.

He advised that the people should treat things that concerns safety as important as how they care about eating foods.

“Most times because of cost implication, people will say this thing is too expensive for me.

“If I will advise you will need fire proof cable, because there is no way it will get burnt even when hot.”

“After building, put fire extinguisher… ordinary three or two bedroom bungalow cost nothing less than N5million in Nigeria of today, forget about where you buy the land.

“Then, what is N30,000 or N50,000, which the cost of fire extinguisher is that you cannot put in your house to protect you?

He added: “It is not only for you to buy fire extinguisher, you also need to be trained by whosoever sell fire extinguishers.

“Don’t just go to market that you want to buy fire extinguisher, because fire extinguisher is for life and death.

“When anything happens you can use it to escape death, but when you don’t have it, people will just shout and find you dead in the house.”

ReplyForward

Continue Reading

Others

Restriction on Motorcycle operations: Lagos State records first voluntary compliance

Published

on

By

 Indications have emerged that the Lagos State government may well be on the path of success with its recent decision restricting commercial motorcycles and tricycles from operating within certain local governments across the State as it has recorded its first voluntary compliance by O’Ride, one of the major motor bike hailing operators. According to a terse statement released in Lagos on Friday by the company less than 24 hours to the enforcement, it stated that O’Ride will not be operating in all the local government areas where the state government has restricted motor cycles and tricycles from plying. It would be recalled that the Lagos State government had on the 27th of January, 2020 announced a restriction on the operation of motorcycles popularly called Okada and tricycles popularly known as Keke across the state. The State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotosho, had in a statement said the decision was taken after a “robust assessment” between the government and the state security council.The assessment focused on the safety of using motorcycles and tricycles as a means of transportation. The statement said the casualty figures arising from their use are “scary.” The restriction, according to the statement, will be enforced in 15 local governments and local council development areas across the state. They are Apapa LGA and Apapa Iganmu LCDA, Lagos Mainland LGA and Yaba LCDA, Surulere LGA and Itire-Ikate and Coker-Aguda LCDAs, Ikeja LGA and Onigbongbo and Ojodu LCDAs, Eti-Osa LGA and Ikoyi-Obalende and Iru/Victoria Island LCDAs, and Lagos island LGA and Lagos island East LCDA.  Full Statement “According to the latest traffic policy by the Lagos State Government, effective from February 1, 2020, ORide Riders will not be operating in the following areas: Ikeja, Surulere, Lagos Mainland, Lagos Island, Eti-Osa and Apapa. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this might cause, as we remain committed to providing the best riding experience. Thank you for riding with us.” The Lagos State Government has however emphasized that the new policy is set in stone and enforcement across the state will begin today the 1st of February, as scheduled.

Continue Reading

Trending News